Monday, June 16, 2008

It's Time

Two reasons for this post:

1) Every August for the past 10 years has meant one thing, RA training. Each year it's a different experience filled with meeting new people, sharing ideas, and listening to new ways of how I can build my professional self piece by piece. There are a lot of presentations I remember from labeling exercises to the numerous (and rockin' good) tech talks I've given.

Last August was a little different. I think it was the keynote speech for the 2007 training where a woman who works at RIT named Colette Shaw came in and talked about the development of a book she wrote. To write a book takes a lot of work but what got her through it was by telling people about it. She recommended to the students to tell people about their goals but be prepared because you'll be accountable to them.

2) Just finished reading "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch. It's one of those books that I'm going have to read again with a highlighter or set of post-its to capture some of the great sentences and anecdotes that he wrote. Highly recommend putting it on your reading list. With it's focus not necessarily being on that life is short, it's more about living life with a purpose and to it's fullest extent.

Now, from here, this post could take on a stereotypical, "I'm going to tell you everything in my head" type writing. But, as I've mentioned before, I don't want to live my life through a blog. A big part of my life has been connecting with people 1-1. Can't really see who's reading this. Can't ask them what they thought. I don't believe I can truly connect with people without getting to them face to face.

So I'm going to be a little selfish and use this blog for my own good. Putting Colette's words into action (but not giving away all the cards (goals) in my hand(head)) and having realized something else from reading that book (read it yourself (I'll let you borrow my copy!) and you may find some clues as to what I'm talking about) I'm posting two, count em, two goals for the world to call me on:

  1. Before the winter is here, I want to be able to run 4 miles without looking like a tomato when I'm finished. Just want to be able to do it with a little bit of ease
  2. Lose 20 or more pounds in six months (edited to be more specific)

I've got some plans in place and have been working on them already (lost 15 pounds) but now that these are out there, it's a whole new ball game. I don't want to let you down.