Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Brief List Of Things To Say Before I Die

I think a lot of us have those moments we remember when we've said the perfect thing at the perfect time. Whether it was helping out a friend or taking a stand on something, the right phrase can create a lasting memory.

Now, I'm not talking movie lines or pick-up lines (I'm good at one of those...), I talking about those statements that the world seems to just stop for. It's a moment when there's a dramatic pause where the person who hears it takes a brief moment to let it marinate in their mind before reacting.

Don't know when I might be able to break these out but I'm hoping that, at some point, I can say these without flinching or second guessing it's use:
  • "Now if you'll excuse me, I have a plane to catch"- Who says that nowadays? Everything in our lives is so planned out that we can't just interrupt a meeting or event to say this line. Usually what gets said is, "Hey, can we make this quick, I've got to get somewhere." I picture saying this line after successfully handling a heated debate, putting on my suit jacket, and walking out the door. Problem is that my next line would probably be, "Now where the heck did I put my suitcase..."
  • "No, that's ok. I'm going to pay cash"- I'm hoping in the future that I can walk onto a car lot, pick out a nice convertible, listen to the salesperson give their speeches about the features. Then, as they break into the financing discussion, I can politely put up my hand to stop him/her, dramatic beat as he/she thinks, "Who the heck does this guy think he is?", and I give them the line that will change their thinking to, "Jackpot".
  • "You're going to need to push me out of this thing"- I was chatting the other day with someone who's been skydiving. I told him I could never do it. Kinda true. I don't think my legs could get up from the side of the plane, walk over to the door, and take the leap. I'd really have to have the tandem guy/girl carry me like a baby over to the door. Or maybe I can get knocked out somehow only to have them give me an epi-pen (not in the heart!) right as I'm standing in the door.
  • "I think a pool would look nice back here"- My grandparents had a pool in their backyard. It was home to birthday parties, graduation parties, huge 4th of July parties, and epic battles involving a beach ball and someone jumping off the diving board (going to be the subject of a whole other blog post). Granted, we were only there for the fun times, so I imagine there was a lot of other times where it was a big frustration to them. But I have always wanted to be looking inside a new home, starring out from a back glass door, with my arm around my wife, and saying this line. Which would be even cooler if after we both looked at each other, we turn to the realtor, and in unison, say, "We'll take it!" (ok, it's cheesy, but it's my cheesy)
  • "I have all the time in the world"- Just to make someone's day to know that they have my full attention no matter how long they need it.
There's probably more but this is what was in my head as I'm trying to get to sleep tonight. Let me know if you think of any other ones.

Thanks for reading....