Thursday, December 25, 2008

25 Days of Thanks-Day 24

Thankful-Extended Family

A big thank you goes out to all the grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, extended cousins for your support over the years.  In addition, the husbands, wives, and partners deserve a thanks as well.

But a big "Sorry!" goes out to one of the newest cousins Nick who got his unplanned introduction into the back room of the grandparent's house tonight.  Over the years, the house that my dad grew up in, and that my grandfather and aunt now live in, as been host to numerous birthday parties, 4th of July bashes, and Christmas get-togethers.  Before my aunt moved in, the back room was the unofficial hangout for the little kids.  There were toys, an organ, an actual bar (we had no idea that it was also stocked with good stuff but, come on, we were too young), and the ever elusive dart board (the darts were hidden in fear that an "accident" would happen between my brother and I)

Anyway, in order to get into this back room from the house, you need to go down two steps.  But these two steps over the years have been evil.  In the days when the pool was open in the backyard, the steps would become slippery and, well, you can probably figure out the rest.  I think each Spain child has fallen on these stairs at least once.  Thanks to me, Nick got initiated into this illustrious club.

I'm standing at the top of the stairs and I hear him coming with my aunt closely behind.  He gets next to me and I look down saying something cute (hey, at least I think it was).  He squirms next to my leg and I say something at the same time my aunt says, "Jeffrey, can you grab his hand."

Cue the slow motion swipe in the air as Nick takes one "step" down and kinda goes to his knees.  For a split second, I think, "Sweet, he'll be ok".  But then still in slow motion, in his attempt to get back up, his feet slip out from under him, and unfortunately, his face met the floor.  

I feel horrible.  I don't wish any harm on any two year old and I feel bad that this happened on a Merry Christmas night.  A few minutes later he was doing pretty good with a toy in his hand but he did have a good bump on his forehead.  So Nick, Sarah, Eric, my apologies.

A very Merry Christmas to all those who I didn't talk to today out there from the family.